Kenneth Mathews came to Beeson in 1989. He teaches Old Testament and Hebrew exegesis. His book, The Paleo-Hebrew Leviticus Scroll (coauthored with David Noel Freedman), was the first full study of the Leviticus Dead Sea Scroll. He is the author of Genesis 1–11:26 and Genesis 11:27–50:26 in the New American Commentary series (as well as associate general editor of that series), Leviticus: Holy God, Holy People in the Preaching the Word series, Joshua in the Teach the Text Commentary series, and The Post-Racial Church (coauthored with Beeson faculty member M. Sydney Park). He translated “Leviticus” for The New Living Translation and is associate editor of the Old Testament for the new Evangelical Biblical Commentary series published by Lexham Press. He is a member of the Editorial Board of the online journal called, Journal of the Evangelical Study of the Old Testament (2012-today). His present research is a commentary on Deuteronomy. He is an ordained minister in the Southern Baptist Convention. He serves as an itinerant preacher, conference speaker, and Bible teacher. Mathews and his wife, Dea, have two adult children, seven grandchildren, and one great-grandson.
- M.A., Ph.D., University of Michigan
- Th.M., Dallas Theological Seminary
- B.A., Dallas Baptist University
- Genesis 1-11:26. Christian Standard Commentary. Nashville: B&H (forthcoming).
- Joshua. Teaching the Text. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2016.
- Leviticus. Preaching the Word. Wheation, IL: Crossway Books, 2009.
- Co-author with Sydney Park. The Post-Racial Church. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2011.
- Genesis 1-11:26 and Genesis 11:27-50:26. New American Commentary. Nashville: B&H, 1996 and 2005.
Selected Articles and Essays
“Polytheism and Atheism” and “Spiritism, Animism, and Cynicism in Biblical Times.” Christian Worldview Study Bible. Nashville: B&H, 2018.
“The Language of the Old Testament.” Theology, Church and Ministry: A Handbook for Theological Education. Nashville: B&H, 2018.
“Worship in the OT.” The Church: Worship, Tradition, and Engagement. Essays in Honor of Timothy George. Wipf&Stock, 2018.
“YHWH is One: Yahwistic Monotheism in the Book of Deuteronomy.” The Law, the Prophets, and the Writings: Studies in Evangelical Old Testament Hermeneutics. Nashville: B&H, 2020.
- Old Testament
- Pentateuchal Studies
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Journal of the Evangelical Study of the Old Testament
- Shades Mountain Baptist Church