M.Div./MATS Application Process
October 1 - Spring General Admission, Academic and Tuition Scholarship
January 15 - Fall Academic Scholarship
*March 1 - Fall General Admission and Tuition Scholarship
*Still want to apply for fall 2021? Due to COVID-19, we’re accepting fall 2021 applications past March 1. Contact Sherri Brown or Kyle Young in Beeson's Admission Office and start your application today!
All items on this checklist must be received by the application deadline. Further instruction is given on the online application.
- Completed online application
- Personal Faith Narrative Essay
- Academic Essay on the topic of the Apostles' Creed
- Academic Recommendation (to be completed by a college- or graduate-level instructor)
- Pastoral Recommendation (to be completed by your senior pastor, other member of the pastoral staff or campus minister; cannot be a family member)
- Church Endorsement (to be completed by the governing body of your church of membership). *This may be completed, if needed, by the same person who completes your pastoral recommendation form. However, please make the pastor aware he/she will need to complete both recommendation forms.
- Admission Interview:
Each applicant is responsible for scheduling an interview. Interviews must be completed prior to the application deadline. It is recommended that your interview be completed on campus, but if this is not possible, interviews conducted by phone or Skype are acceptable. Schedule your interview through your application portal.
- Official Transcript: Official transcript(s) from all undergraduate and (if applicable) graduate institutions previously attended should be mailed to:
Beeson Divinity School
Office of Admission
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, Alabama 35229
Or, an official electronic transcript can be emailed to: email@example.com.
A final transcript also is required upon completion of your undergraduate degree. Transcripts are considered official only when they bear the issuing institution's seal and arrive with the seal intact.
- $35 non-refundable fee that may be paid by credit card when submitting online application (not required for graduates of Samford University)
The application process for international students is unique and can seem complicated. It is our hope that this page will reduce this stress by taking you step by step through the process.
Prospective international students must complete and submit the following evaluations to the Beeson Divinity School Office of Admission before beginning the standard application process for admission.
- World Educational Service (Official course-by-course transcript of academic work sent through World Educational Services)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Any applicant whose native language is not English must also submit a score of at least 550 (paper-based) or 80 (Internet-based) on the TOEFL. Students should arrange to take the TOEFL by visiting www.toefl.org or by writing to Educational Testing Service at P.O. Box 955, Princeton, NJ 08540.
Once the above material is completed, an international prospect may begin the standard application process by clicking on the "Apply Now" button below. Following an admission decision, the applicant will need to complete the Affidavit of Financial Support, including an official bank statement. The USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) requires proof of funds totaling approximately $30,000 (minus any scholarship assistance) in order for an I-20 to be processed, therefore it is recommended that funding is secured before the completion of the application process. Please contact Jennifer Beck if you have any questions.
*A note regarding student visas: The United States Information Agency's insurance regulations for J visa holders require international students and their dependents to have and maintain health insurance during residency in the United States. Proof of coverage is required before registering for classes. The law mandates that Samford University must deny student status to international students who do not continue to comply. Information about specific carriers, minimum coverages, and premium costs is available from Samford University Health Services.