Frequently Asked Questions About Student Life
Is there housing available on campus?
At this time, Samford University does not have on-campus housing available for graduate students. We are happy to provide students with apartments listings as well as contact information for a locator service. If you wish to room with another divinity student, we can connect you with interested classmates. 
Will I have interaction with faculty members?
Yes, the limited size of Beeson makes faculty more accessible in general. In particular, students are assigned to a mentoring group each semester that is led by a member of the faculty; this group usually meets once a week throughout the semester.
Can I participate in university activities?
Yes, as a student of Beeson Divinity School you have all of the opportunities available to any Samford student. This includes dramatic and musical productions, the art gallery, lectureships, libraries, athletic facilities and even intramural sports. To see more activities, visit the Samford calendar.
Are there churches where I can get involved?
Absolutely. Birmingham is home to more than 300 churches, and it is very common for students to have staff or volunteer positions within these churches. The Placement Office also maintains a database of open ministry positions.

Is there anything to do in Birmingham?

We think so. Birmingham is a city of over 650,000 within a metropolitan area of over 1 million. It has the advantages of a large city, including restaurants, shopping, diverse population, and community activities. Birmingham also offers a warm climate, rolling hills, and plenty of green space for hiking, biking, and other outdoor pursuits. Please see these links for more information about our city: 

How can my spouse be involved?
Spouses are welcome to join the Beeson community for chapel on Tuesday at 11:00 and for a $4 community lunch afterwards in the Student Commons. Spouses have the option of playing intramurals with Beeson students as well as using the workout facility in the Pete Hanna Center. (You must use the workout facility with your spouse and bring your driver’s license with you.) For more information, you may call Campus Recreation at (205) 726-2194.

Spouses may take advantage of the Visitor’s Program, which enables them to visit one class per semester free of charge. (Please note that some professors do not allow visitors in their classes. There is a cap of five visitors per class.) The deadline to register for class is the first week of classes. To register for the Visitor’s Program, contact Susan McNabb at (205) 726-4485 or

Spouses also receive a discount for classes in the evening through the Lay Academy.  Please email if you would like to learn more about this. Wives of students will be contacted by the Beeson Wives Fellowship about other opportunities.

Do you have suggestions for part-time employment while I am student?
To explore job postings from local churches and businesses, check the Beeson Placement Office page.